Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Planning My Escape if Only in My Mind

It's another beautiful, sunny, hot day here as usual. I'm am totally wiped out again. I really am tired of feeling like this. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight for it though, so I'm told. I've tried to get used to it. I really have. I want to escape again. It's been quite a while since I have. Used to be I could. My agreement was to escape every 3 months. That's not happening and hasn't been and won't now. Thank you Mr. President and the economy!

Do you ever just want to go to sleep and sleep for a really long time? Thing is I can't and don't sleep. Mostly because of pain but also because my body refuses to do so, especially at night. I can sleep during the day for brief periods of time but come night time my body just doesn't like it. I really don't know why. I've never known why. I have put many a thought into this to see if there was a reason, if there was something that ever occurred at night that would have a subconscious cause. Nope! Nada.

Right now I think I'd settle for a night away in a really good hot tub to soak in though. The aches I have are screaming for that. I would get in and never get out. I know, I know you can't do that because it's unhealthy but damn, it sure sounds good doesn't it?

Ok so let's go on a little adventure in our minds shall we? Since I can't escape my next best thing is planning or thinking about an escape. This is what I do all the time. I will go through searching and thinking about where to go, as if I really am planning an getaway. I will gather information about hotels, visiting website after website. Whether it's tourism sites, direct hotel websites, large outlet gathering (like Travelocity) sites and scour through their information. Looking at tons of pictures dreaming about it. Looking at prices trying to get the best and most for the money with some arbitrary amount. I'll look at plane flights (time and types - I don't like little puddle jumper planes at all!). Then I'll look at activities available. Finally restaurants. You know a woman's gotta eat too! I'll think about what I may want to eat, what kind of atmosphere it will be and where. Sometimes it prompts springboarding.

What is springboarding? Springboarding is leaping to other ideas. In this case it usually leads to "Oh I like that. Maybe I want to have that and make that." So I will look for a recipe if I don't already know how to make it. Or I will add it to the weekly grocery list. I can't tell you how many times I've springboarded when surfing the web, even if not planning an escape.

I think I've always been a happy wanderer though. For as long as I can remember since I was a child. Perhaps it started because of my Grandparents and the pretty traditional Sunday afternoon drive after church to nowhere. Then it was the Summer travels. I was always the one to up and leave on an adventure with them. My sister would always stay home because she would get homesick and not want to do anything. I never lost that feeling. As I grew I still loved to travel and my instinct as a teen was to follow that love and seek a career in it. I attended school and became certified for the travel industry so that I could become a travel agent. Funny thing though, that didn't happen. Not because Ididn't try. I just kept hitting brick walls at the time. Cath 22's. Everyone wanted experience and no one willing to give it.

Jump ahead to these times. Now no one really goes much to travel agents. I mean they are around and some use it. But with the internet many can just make these arrangements themselves. Over the years, however, I did make travel arrangements for friends and family members. Planning cruises was what I did the most. Ah, now there is my love. Cruising. If I had my choice of escapes, that is my number 1 choice. What is yours? Share with me won't you? Share with me your travels.

No comments: